Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

"The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it."



4 out of 5 stars

Apart from the storyline, I liked the book. I was compelled to keep reading it and was reluctant to put it down until I finally reached the end. Having said that, I'm still quite befuddled as to what all was going on. I understand bits of it, especially the part where Leto succumbs fully to the mythos/fate/whatever-you-call-it that his father tried to run from and his aunt, Alia, was too scared to face, a course which robs him completely of his humanity. But to what end? Who is the enemy and who is the victor? What exactly is going on? I'm sure Herbert explained these things in the book, somewhere amidst the heavy wordplay he uses to explain the workings of the Dune universe, but those explanations escape me. Perhaps my perplexed psyche will be up to another reading to search for those answers...in a few more years.

Read September, 2009
Originally reviewed on Goodreads September 8, 2009

Update:  May 25, 2012

I think this is one of the shortest reviews I've written, which reflects the perplexed state of mind I was in when I finished reading the novel.  This is also the last novel in the Dune series I've read; the dense language and concepts can only be taken for so long before they become overwhelming.  That said, I would like to pick it up again and continue with the series; I know not only the Dune series, but all of Herbert's works have become almost a religion for some people, which I wouldn't take so far, but it's obvious his words hold a great deal of importance to a great many people.  I'm also curious as to how well his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have done with the story since taking it over in 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment